- Prospective Students
- Current students
- The Brainiac Blog
- Faculty advisors
- Connect and engage
You are hereNews
Community News: March 2020
Dr. Shernaz Bamji has been appointed Associate Director of the Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health.
Due to the fluid COVID-19 situation, the difficult decision has been made to cancel the Neuroscience Research Colloquium talks for the remainder of the season. We are going to replace them with Zoom talks on a variety of emerging areas that highlight local speakers for the remainder of the season, the first of which is on Friday, April 3, 2020. We're grateful for all of the speakers who were able to present this year, and look forward to welcoming everyone back to UBC for more exciting talks starting in September!
For details and links to Zoom, please visit the NRC website. The first Zoom talk is scheduled for Friday, April 3.
- Dr. Shernaz Bamji has been appointed Associate Director, Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health.
- Dr. Raymond Lam and Dr. Fidel Vila-Rodriguez have both received the BC SUPPORT (Support for People and Patient-Oriented Research and Trials) Unit's 2020 Pathway to Patient-Oriented Research Award
- Dr. Thalia Field has been nominated for a YWCA Women of Distinction award.
- Dr. Erin Michalak and Dr. Trisha Chakrabarty (among others), held a successful online event called "As me Anything" in honour of World Bipolar Day.
- Several of our researchers received funding through the Dawn Shaw competition for projects relating to Alzheimer's Disease:
- Drs. Haakon Nygaard and Stephanie Willerth for their project on modelling Alzheimer's Disease through 3D human neural tissue
- Drs. Cheryl Wellington, Haakon Nygaard, and Karen Cheung for looking at microfluidic models of the neurovascular unit for studies of Alzheimer's Disease
- Drs. Haakon Nygaard and Brian MacVicar will look at neuronal oxidative stress and microglia interactions in Alzheimer's Disease models
- Drs. Teresa Liu-Ambrose, Vesna Sossi, Liisa Galea, and Roger Tam will use the funds to study exercise impacts on cognition and Alzheimer's Disease indicators in perimenopasual women
- Drs. Donna Lang, Kristina Gicas, Thalia Field, Eduardo Navajas, and Alexandra Talia Vertinsky will look at cardiovascular risk in Alzheimer's Disease
- Drs. Liisa Galea, Robin Hsiung, and Sherri Hayden will study the imapct of motherhood on cognitive health in aging and Alzheimer's Disease
- One will live, one will die: How Canada is preparing for tough coronavirus choices (Global News, March 30)
- Modulating the Mind (TedTalk, March 30)
- Killiam Doctoral Scholarship announcement (BC Department of Psychiatry, March 20)
- Study led by B.C. prof finds 8% of school-age children have thought abut or attempted suicide (Black Press mEdia, March 12)
- Many young kids think of suicide (MedPage Today, March 12)
- Brain Trust: How B.C.'s sports orgnizations are facing the concussion epidemic (CBC, March 5)
- International Women's Day (UBC Faculty of Medicine, March)
- How do concussions affect the brain? (CBC, March 2)
Did we miss something? Do you have a story tip? We want to hear from you! Send your research highlights, upcoming publications, trainee successes, and funding and awards news to firstname.lastname@example.org.